Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Nati


She just could not wait for me to finish my dinner so that she could show me the the full moon..."la luna es muy grande en el cielo...es bellísimo, Kira, es bellísimo, Kira, Kira!!!!..." It was my last night in Ostional, the remote and isolated village and beach on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica where I was volunteering in sea turtle conservation. She tugged at my arm and flashed that irresistible smile that I had come to know. I remember being that age, about 7 years old, and being that excited to show an adult something. The wait always seemed like forever. She and her mom had come by the place where I was staying that evening to say goodbye and because she just had to show me the full moon on her beach, Playa Ostional.
 
So, I stuffed one last forkful into my mouth, and she, her mom, their shepherd mix named Tequila, and I walked to down the short road in the darkness through the tiny, sleepy village to the beach. Her energy and passion were infectious. She could not wait to show me this moon. She is special. She seemed to quickly become my guide and protector. She warmly welcomed me into the classroom and told all the kids about me when I went to teach in the school, she corrected my Spanish without judgment and made me a better speaker, and she pulled nuts and fruits out of trees for me to try. She became my teacher, welcoming me with a huge heart into her world and her culture, and to her I extend endless gratitude.
 
 
We took our flip flops off and walked barefoot on the cool, soft sand, she between us, holding our hands and pulling us along. It was closer to low tide, so we had a long walk before reaching the water. Then, we turned around and looked back over the rainforest at la luna bella. Pause. Breathe. Simple. Present. Beautiful. Breathe. She was proud of her beach. She pointed at the moon with a huge smile to make sure I saw it, even though it was lighting up the night like a blazing wildfire and sat in the sky like a stadium light turned on in a small dark bedroom. When she was sure I had taken it in, she danced and laughed and cartwheeled her way off into the distance in front of us...dog chasing after her. That beautiful moon was her gift to me.
 
I walked with her mom, who had been such a sweet friend to me from day 1. We walked slowly. We had nowhere to be and were a million miles from anywhere. Our conversation was short, as we simply enjoyed each other's company and the sweet night, without having to fill it with words.
 
It was not long before her daughter ran back to meet us. She begged her mom to play some music on her phone. And so we danced...in our own little world...an impromptu dance party in the brilliant moonlight on a deserted black sand beach as turtles crossed our path to nest and then return to the sea.
 
And so we danced.

No comments:

Post a Comment